Emotional intelligence, or emotional quotient (EQ), can be described as an individual’s ability to identify, evaluate, control, and express emotions, along with the capacity to accurately perceive the emotions of others. High EQ levels help us communicate better with others while allowing us to negotiate and form clear thought patterns. As per leading psychologist and author Daniel Goleman, EQ is a more important measure of a person’s success than their intelligence quotient (IQ). Building emotional intelligence will help your child develop empathy, along with better management, leadership, and team-building skills.
Goleman’s revolutionary ideas around the science behind EQ initiated a movement towards the incorporation of EQ in academic curricula worldwide, including the top schools in Gurgaon. This can be attributed to the fact that individuals with high intelligence quotients do not always possess the social intelligence and softer skills required to function successfully in interpersonal and professional environments. As per a 2013 Forbes article, 85% of financial success can be attributed to skills in ‘human engineering’, including personality, ability to communicate, negotiate, and lead. The remaining 15% is a result of technical know-how. This statistic indicates that individuals with a strong EQ make efficient leaders and managers, and are better at working in collaborative environments.
Hence, if we foster EQ in our children when they are young, they will grow up to develop strong relationships with those around them and lead in their preferred career arenas, while earning massive profits. Also, they will develop a heightened sense of empathy, compassion, and self-awareness, which will allow them to blossom in multifarious ways. We have come a long way since the inception of the EQ movement in 1996 – now, every school in Gurgaon attempts to assimilate EQ-building activities within their curriculum. However, parents should also play a vital role in fostering their child’s EQ, and here are four ways to do so:
- Help your child recognize their own emotions
Once you help your child identify and understand their emotions, whether it be frustration, anger, or disappointment, they will start taking ownership. This will not only help them analyse what they are feeling but also allow them to comprehend the way in which it affects others. Whenever your child feels discouraged or upset, ask them to express how they feel, and gently guide them toward feeling better.
- Talk about your own emotions with your child
The best way to foster emotional intelligence is to display it on a regular basis. Communicate with your child about your emotions and allow them to gradually perceive it for themselves. You can also demonstrate positive emotions and explain how it can affect others in affirmative ways. Once your child is able to grasp emotional trigger points, it will be easier for them to control and channel their emotions.
- Help them gauge the emotional aura inside your house
Moods and feelings constantly fluctuate within a household. If you have people visiting you, the aura might become fun and jubilant. Similarly, waking up on a quiet Sunday morning might make you feel calm and relaxed. Discuss these aural differences with your children and allow them to realise how their own emotions impact the environment of the household.
- Teach them the value of empathy and compassion
Children are influenced by the people they care about: teachers, friends, and most importantly, family. Hence, as a parent, you should be thoughtful about the lessons and messages you are consciously and unconsciously sending to your child. In order to inculcate the value of empathy and compassion in children, one needs to model such behaviour on an everyday basis – the way we treat people around us, even strangers, communicates our true values to children. A constant flow of derogatory comments, criticism, or gossip at someone else’s expense, will become embedded within a child’s value system. Cultivate an atmosphere wherein your child feels safe to ask questions and is able to become a kind, responsible human being.
Help your child grow in a beautiful and humane way!